A very interesting short talk about gender…and how the binary has trapped and limited us as beings
Posted here without comment, with the hope that it helps break down another taboo almost as deep and irrational as gender discussion.
…50 Shades of Grey…
yeah, I could rant about what is objectionable there for days on end. From the topic to the takeaway, and even deeper.
I don’t like it on so many levels…and yes, I was aware of what this was a few years back when it was just an online forum fan fiction piece that started making waves.
If you have bothered to read here much, you know my feelings about sexuality and sexual expression, and why. I want to emphasize that my objections to this thing transcend any particular picadillo or preference or pain or pleasure.
That is like objecting that rain is wet.
It goes so much deeper and thus gets easily overlooked in the assessment of cowardice that just freaking drives me crazy: “Well, whatever it takes to make you happy, I support that”.
NO!! I hear that all the time, and what makes us happy is rarely ever understood even by us or even effective at that so called happiness-production!
But I digress, and begin to rant about this…50 Shades of Prey (I mean Grey)
How many times has this scenario been performed…in Their Name?
Read and make the application, yeah?
Educating a Friend
- Me: So, let’s say that you’re at school and you see a guy you know. I mean, you guys talk every once in a while and he’s pretty cool, but you’re not like friends or anything. You just talk to him every once in a while.
- Guy Friend: What’s his name?
- Me: I don’t know. Frank?
- Guy Friend: No.
- Me: Okay, fine. His name is Will. Okay?
- Guy Friend: I don’t think it really suits him, but okay.
- Me:…So anyway, you’re at school during lunchtime and you see Will. So, you notice Will’s not eating anything. That’s when you realize that Will has no lunch, no money for lunch, and no way of getting either. He’s just sitting there like he normally would. He’s not acting any differently and he’s not asking anyone for anything. Not money, not a fry, not even a salt packet, but you know he’s gotta be hungry. So, what do you do?
- Guy Friend: Do I have any money?
- Me: Yeah. You have enough for you and another meal.
- Guy Friend: Duh, I buy him lunch.
- Me: Okay, cool. So, like you said, you buy him lunch. You buy your lunch and you buy his lunch and you go over and hand it to him. And, he says, “Wow. You know, that’s really nice of you, but I wasn’t gonna ask anyone for lunch. I was probably just gonna wait until I got home to eat.” And, then you say–
- Guy Friend: Nah, it’s cool.
- Me: Exactly. You say, “Nah, it’s cool. I’m just being nice. It’s a gift.” And, Will says, “You know, that’s awesome. You’re really nice, bro.” And, after that, you guys start hanging out. You guys are like really good buds. You are always hanging out and laughing and just having a good time. So, you guys are friends for a few months, and it’s tons of fun. Then, one day, you go up to Will and you say, “Hey, Will, you know, I’ve been thinking, and I kinda want that five bucks.”
- Guy Friend: What five bucks?
- Me: Hold on. I’m getting there. So, Will says, “What five bucks?” To which, you reply, “Well, we’ve been hanging out for a long time and it’s been really fun, but like, I’ve done a lot of really nice things for you. Like, I’m always nice to you and I always listen and do things you wanna do, so I was thinking that because I’ve been so nice, you should pay me back that five bucks I spent to get your lunch right before we started really hanging out.”
- Guy Friend: What? Why would I–
- Me: I’m not done yet. So, then Will looks kinda hurt and he says, “But I thought you were just being nice. I thought that was just a gift.” So, you say, “Whether or not it was a gift, don’t you think you kinda owe me that five bucks since I’ve been so nice to you?” And, Will says, “No. I don’t think I owe you that!” And you get mad, so you say, “Well, I think that you do, so I think you’re being really shitty and stuck up about this and I feel like I’ve been completely wronged.”
- Guy Friend: Oh, my God. That’s so fucked up of me. I would never do that to Will. Will was nice. We were buds. That’s way screwed.
- Me: I know, right? Hey, just wondering, have you ever heard of this fictional place called “The Friendzone?”
- Guy Friend: Well, yeah, but…
- Guy Friend:…
- Guy Friend:…
- Guy Friend: oh